15 Reasons to Buy More Fabric

“I don’t think I need any more fabric; I’ve got all that I need”… said no one ever! In case you need any motivation to go out and buy more fabric for your next sewing project (though we highly doubt that you do!), here are 15 reasons to help you support your case!

Special thanks to all of our Facebook friends for providing their insight!

What would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments!

Get in touch! Leave a comment or email editor@nationalsewingcircle.com.

Get sewing tips from our sewing experts

66 Responses to “15 Reasons to Buy More Fabric”
  1. Vicki

For my granddaughters, why buy store brought clothes, when I can make it better.
    For my granddaughters, I love to shop with them when pick out fabrics and patterns.
    For my granddaughters, when trying on the clothes for a fitting, to see their eyes light up and the smile on their faces.
    For my granddaughters, to hear them say my Nana make it.
    For ME, I stand proud and happy that my granddaughter at the ages 5 and 3 think I am SuperNana. (This SuperNana has 6 or is that 7 no 9 outfits in the wing to be sewed. Does anyone know where my coupons to Joann, Hancock and Hobby Lobby are? I forgot where I put them.) need more fabric!!!!

• OrahLee Hoose

Lucky you, you have a Hancock store. I could ALWAYS find something good there No longer in Tucson. Cry, Cry,Whimper.

2. robin

I’m saving for the future. I’ll be able to keep warm and clothe my entire family (including the men and grandchildren) in case of another depression or the kids can sell it at an estate sale and watch the catfights !

3. Jennie

Because I might have a slight hoarding problem, if I buy only these 5 pieces of fabric it’ll show that I’m not a hoarder because I didn’t buy out the store. I’ll wait until later to do that.

4. Deanna

Isn’t picking out the fabric half the fun. It is an art. Therefore, buying fabric is a hobby. Who cares if it never serves another purpose.

• Marie

Going to the Fabric store brings me pure joy! All the staff are friendly and eager to see what I’ve made, meeting others who love sewing and fabric is another joy and bringing home beautiful colors and textures to create with is the ultimate estasy!

5. BETTY

Because you can always use the fabric to make skirts, and summer halter dresses for poor children in other country that is what I do.

• JOY

They can only make so many of a design.
      Prices of fabric only do up; so I will save a lot in the end.
      I live far away and the cost of gas and maybe tolls make it cheaper to buy now instead of more trips to the shop. AND SAVE ME THE TIME/a day to go buy more.
      As my husband says jokingly “It will keep me out of the bars1”. I must use it if I buy it -RIGHT!!!

6. Angelia

I know it is really rare but…..Because My Husband Told Me To!!!! (Ok, so, what he said was go by yourself something nice to wear)…..well, it will be eventually!!

7. Janet F.

There are those who collect clocks, tin soldiers, anything….at least MY collection has the prospect of being useful.

8. Pat Bigbie

My favorite excuse…”But dear, you have bought a lot of guns and you don’t use them everyday either” lol

• CW

Well, I bought a lot of guns and I DO use those every day 😀 no point in having it if I don’t carry it! But also, buy all of the fabric!!

9. MissBirda

So when I die my DIL’s can fight for who gets what and so my son’s can have more to complain about their ko.!!

10. Leah Ann Johnson

My Walmart fabric department was closed out because some ignorant CEO from the east coast decided that no one was a seamstress in the midwest so he had all the stores pull their fabric deats.. what a mistake.. I bought amy yards of fabric for quilts I was some of it I got at give away prices.. about 3 yrs ago they put back in a smaller section but they got some of it back.. was I happy… I still have yards of fabric stored in a closet… this and one other small store carry some fabric.. it helps those of us who cant drive to the nearest JoAnna;s ….

11. Karen Heitzman

I know that fabric may look trendy now, but by the time I get to it it will be retro.

12. Tari

I just bought about 30 yards of material I don’t know what I’ Going to make with most but I do have plans for about 1/3 of it I will think of some pattern to use up the rest

13. AnnieSky

Because I live in New Hampshire and it insulated the walls I put my stash against.

14. SHARON

I thought when I gave up driving I’d have to quit buying fabric. Then I found out there’s way more fabric online.

15. Shirley

I’m spending my kids inheritance. They can sell it when I’m gone. I can’t take it with me; can I?!

16. Joyce Adkison

Love all the tips! I have not seen

Love all the Tips. I have not sewed in a few years but I am back into it!I have a Baby Lock sewing machine and BL serger. I love them both. Have made quilts for our four grown children!

17. Alyce Downer

Just because. Gotta have it, got a coupon, it’s on sale, it’s pretty, it’s nice, oh – just because

18. Sheryl

Because I love to keep fabric on hand, I create different things in addition to clothing. My stash is getting low.

19. Sheryl

I need more fabrics to go with all those patterns I’ve bought but never used. Kept waiting to lose weight before I made them.

20. Pauline B Burch

Because it gives me a moment of happiness until I get home and all the shelves and cabinets in my craft room are full of fabric and I have no space to put the new.

21. Waynette Shafer

I would like to see a panel with these reasons on it to make a quilt for a sewer.