The warmer weather is here to stay, and it’s time to evaluate your summer wardrobe before the temperatures get hot, hot, HOT. Fun and feminine, skirts are the perfect addition to your summer wardrobe. No matter what your body type, you can find a pattern that is flattering, cool, and comfortable.Additionally, skirts are great projects for the novice seamstress. Many patterns are quick and easy to stitch up, and depending on the pattern and size, you may be able to sew a skirt with as little as a yard of fabric. Here we’ve collected five of our favorite tutorials perfect for crafting your very own summer skirt wardrobe.
1. Drawstring-Waist Strip Skirtskirt tutorial by Jessica Giordano will show you how to make a flattering drawstring waist skirt. This skirt takes Ellen March’s pattern (featured below) and tweaks it, adding a pair of triangular patch pockets as a fashion accent along with a drawstring waist. Additionally, Jessica explains how to use the blind hem foot on your machine, helping you complete your skirt in record time with no pesky hand-stitched hemming. Related Article: Sew a Sassy Strip Skirt with Drawstring Waist
2. Summer Swim Skirtthis video, Ashley Hough shows you how to do just that. She also includes many helpful tips for sewing with knits, including the type of needles you will need and how to properly set your stitch length. If you can’t find a cute skirt to match you suit this summer, you can just make your own! Related Video: How to Sew a Swim Skirt
3. Easy Strip Skirthelpful video Ellen March shows you how to make a six-gore skirt pattern with your own body measurements. You can choose the length of the skirt and adjust the pattern to fit your body. Related Video: Make a Strip Skirt
4. Knit Pencil Skirthelpful video, Aurora Sisneros demonstrates how to measure yourself properly, translate those measurements into a well-fitting pattern, include seam allowances, and use a conventional sewing machine or serger to create an elastic-waist, professionally-finished garment. She also includes helpful hints for sewing knits, like how to figure out the correct side of a solid colored knit fabric. Related Video: How to Sew a Knit Pencil Skirt
5. Flirty Circle Skirtvideo tutorial, Beth Bradley takes you through the process of stitching up a lightweight circle skirt in the fabric of your choice. She also includes fabric selection tips in case you are not sure about what type of fabric will be best for this project. Related Video: How to Make a Circle Skirt
If you have a body type that’s hard to fit, love stitching your own clothes, or need a special garment for an important occasion, try sewing a summer skirt. If you sew all five of these patterns, you will be well on your way to overhauling your closet for the summer! Happy sewing! Have something to add? Leave a comment or email email@example.com.