6 Sewing Machines from Your Childhood

Do you remember the first machine you started sewing on? We asked our Facebook fans to share stories about their first time sewing, and their first sewing machine. Did you start on any of these machines?

Machine 1 “Managed to break my mum’s 25-year-old Brother machine when I was 11 – I was “playing” with it. Put me off sewing for a while but I bought my first Singer hand machine when was I was 19. Still got it and it still works like a dream!” – Jeni T.

Machine 2 “On my eighth birthday! I am 58 now and I still love to sew! It was a child’s mini Elna sewing machine. Think it was Swiss made and I loved it. I made my mum and I an apron each out of her old dining room sunflower curtains. She even made some dolls clothes on it for me! Wish I still had it!” – Julie C.

Machine 3 “I learned on my grandmother’s old treadle machine. The one she sewed through her finger with! Trust me – I was careful after hearing about that.” – Pat B.

Machine 4 “I had a toy Singer one when I was about seven or eight years old. I loved it and made clothes and bedding for my dolls. I still love sewing about 50 years later.” – Doreen D.

Machine 5 “My mom starting teaching me to sew when I was eight with her awesome metal Elna machine. It didn’t do much as far as cool stitching, but I loved it and she still has it. Still works too!” – Peggy S.

Machine 6 “ I used my mother’s Kenmore until I was 19. Then I moved away from home and got my own machine. I finally got my first Singer (Imperial) in 1994 and still use it. It’s a plain machine and not computerized, but I will keep on using it.” – Barbara L.

Which one is your favorite? Leave a comment below or share with us on Facebook!

Ultimate Sewing Machine Guide

75 Responses to “6 Sewing Machines from Your Childhood”
  1. Mary Marsh

I learned to sew as a child, 6 or 7, on my mother’s BelAire sewing machine, purchased in 1949 when I was 3 years old. Used it until I got to college and had a different machine of my own. 15 or 20 years later she decided to get a new machine. I told her I wanted the old one. At that time it was on its second belt which was wearing out. I put a new belt on it and have used it ever since. I have a serger and a much newer Pfaff but I use the Bel-Aire for all straight stitching. It has more vertical space between the bottom of the pressure foot and the bed of the machine. Also more power to go thru multiple layers of denim. It has sewn prom and wedding dresses and irrigation canvases, motorcycle seat covers and a multitude of other things.

2. Glenda

I started sewing on a treddle machine (like the picture) around age 10. I bought my own Singer machine for $96 and made $6 payments every month until it was paid for. I still use it. (I sewed a tepee with it in the 70’s!)

3. Lorraine Morgan

i learnt to sew on my great great aunts singer tredlle machine.I was making my own ciothes by hand at age 10. then my father bought a hand machine when I was 13, they traded that in on an electric machine for me when I was 15. am still sewing. I have 3 brother sewing machines. and am looking to buy a babylock serger in the next 18months, have been sewing for 58years

4. Maria Schembri

I started on the Singer hand use one when I was 6 or 7 mum was a professional dress maker and my sis and me always sewd clothes for our dolls from left over material

5. Pat

I started sewing on a Singer slant-o-matic in 1962 after I had been ill and could not go back to school. I was 7 years old, and I haven’t looked back since! I now have 3 hand cranks, 1 treadle, my mom’s sewing machine, a 1930’s singer in a desk, a Kenmore that was my first machine, an old Singer that was converted to electricity and 4 more machines! I still love to sew, and have many family and friends keeping me busy with projects!

• Annesypansy

I was so pleased to hear that someone has used a Singer slantomatic. Having use my mum’s old hand Singer I purchased a Slantomatic in the late 50’s when I left school. It was a top mdel in those days. It did me well eventually being used to sew canvas tenting. I regret giving it away when I upgraded in the early 2000s to a Pfaff.

6. Wanda Morris

I learned on my mother’s old Singer “peddle” machine beginning in the 7th grade. Have continued to see for me and my daughter. Do heirloom and regular sewing. Mom’s machine burned in a house fire. I would love to have one of those for memories sake.

7. Joanne

A lovely lady taught me to sew on her treadle sewing machine and I have been hooked ever since. Now I am teaching my granddaughters to sew.

8. Lynne

I got a 707 Bernina in 8th grade. I have a computer Bernina now but still use the 707 as back up. My mom sewed on a singer machine.

9. Sheri

There were two machines. One was a child’s Singer that clamped onto the table and crank a chain stitch. The other machine is a Singer Feather Weight. I started sewing with that when I was 8 years old. It has attachments for zig-zag stitch and buttonholes. Mommy still has both of them, unless it have the child’s machine hiding somewhere…

It’s been almost 50 years and I’m still sewing!

10. Sue Brown

Learnt to sew on my mum’s Singer treadle machine, and used it to make most of my clothes in the early 60s. Sadly no longer have it!!!!

11. Joyce Delarosa

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle when I was 9. We lived on a farm in Missouri. My grandmother would come visit us in the summer and she would stay for a couple of months. She would make my clothes for school. I would send her pictures of dresses from the Sears and Roebucks Catalog so she could buy the fabrics and stuff to make them. When I expressed an interest in sewing, grandma started me out making underwear from my old dresses. For some people that sounds kind of funny. But it taught me how to use the sewing machine, how to cut fabric from a pattern, how to sew seams, how to sew elastic, how to rip out a seam. But most of all, I learned patience and self confidence. My grandmother was a woman of few words and didn’t openly express love, but I felt it from all she did for me.

• Carol

Wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing. I sew on a Ricarr purchased in 1978. I’d love to get a new machine with fancy stitches and a serger. But I’d never part with the Ricarr

• meetinglady

I recently added two Ricarr machines. One plainly says made for classroom /schools, and it is black. The other is a white or cream color which I found at Goodwill for 14.00. it was Senior Citizen day with another discount. I can’t seem to find a manuel for Model no R916, and I’ve never seen one with the thread on the back side

12. Margaret Gove

My first machine was a child’s Vulcan, which did chainstitch. My godmother gave me £10 for passing my 11 plus exam, and i bought an old long bobbin, with a painted picture on. Since then I have collected a number of old machines, but now use a Toyota

13. Vivian Perry

I have 2 treadle Singer sewing machines both made Scotland in the 1930’s. Most of the old Singers in Europa where made there. I live in Spain and these machines belonged to my mother-law and her sister-law respectively. And I have been sewing machine since I was married 46 years ago and I don’t want a new one even if it were the latest thing on the market and were given to me free! Singer for ever!

14. Robbie Johnson

My Mother taught me to sew on the Singer Featherweight she bought in 1952. She upgraded to a newer Singer and let me use the feather weight until my husband bought me a Kenmore with cams for decorative stitches. I still use the Kenmore (now almost 40 years old) for buttonholes when my Phaff give me issues with buttonholes.

15. sandra Walker

I was 7 when my Aunt Lil taught me to sew on her old Singer Treadle like the one above. And I am 59 now and have been sewing since.

• Nancie Leahy

I learnt to sew with my Mother in the early sixties. As soon as I was able to reach the treadle. when I went to secondry school we had hand singer sewing machines. If we were very lucky we were allowed to use the one and only Bernina electric machine. this meant we didn’t have to hand sew the button holes, joy!!
      My Mum was given a second hand Pfaff electric machine, we thought we were very lucky.
      I bought my first electric sewing machine to make my wedding dress in 1974 it was a New Home
      (Janome today). I still have this machine and it works very well, I also have a Jones hand machine.
      I am planning to teach my grand-daughter to sew on one of these, if she is interested.
      I have a fabulous Janome machine now, but have a soft spot for the old machines.

• Susan

Look on Craig’s List or Facebook market place. You will surprised that you can find older machines relatively inexpensive that still work beautifully.

16. Sandi Hamill

I learned on my dad’s old treadle machine. I would go down to our basement and try figuring out how all those parts worked. I didn’t do to bad. I got a half paid scholarship when I graduated but sadly couldn’t come up with the other half. Kids are so lucky today. God blessed me in other ways.

17. Linda Schembri

I have a Kenmore just like the one above. I’ve had many others but have always kept my Kenmore because when the others didn’t work right I could always count on y Kenmore. Got mine when I got married at 19 and made my boys clothes with it even their christening outfits. I’m 63 now and will keep my Kenmore. Great machine.

18. Lynn Pettigrove

My grandmother bought me my first sewing machine almost 50 yrs ago and taught me to use it. A Singer Featherweight. I still have it and it works perfectly. I have sewn clothing and household items for 3 generations and counting. I love the old treadles too and have a fiddlehead that is amazing and sews better than my newer Singer Curvy as far as ability to sew through layers.

19. Kate Blazey

I used to sit under my Mums Singer treadle machine when I was a toddler, apparently also put the needle through my finger, but fortunately I don’t remember that incident. Later my parents bought me a child’s machine, I think it was a Singer which clamped on to a table and only did lock stitch. Both machines were left in Africa when we emigrated to NZ, but my sewing education continued on my Mum’s new Singer machine, and I have never stopped sewing since.

20. Judith

I’m surprised no one mentioned Singer Featherweight machines. That’s what I learned to sew on at about 10 years old, sewing and designing doll clothes. I still have my featherweight, along with its card table and all the accessories, and it still sews perfectly.

21. Starr

I started on my Moms old Singer. Hated all the cam changes. Sewed like a dream if the cam was in that I wanted to use and all the moons and stars were aligned. What a PIA! I currently sew with a Pfaff Performance 5.0 and love every single perfect Stitch!

22. Hilary Vint

I started sewing on my grandma’s old singer which looked much like the top one except all the writing is in French as she bought it in Egypt during the war. I have 3 other electric machines but before Christmas I was so b

usy making presents and the electric ones all developed different faults that I ended up using my old work horse.

23. Cheryl Clarke

My sisters and I learnt to sew on our mother’s Singer sewing machine which she purchased second-hand in 1970. We sewed everything from doll clothes to leatherette chair covers. I experienced my first needle-stick injury on good old Singer. It was great exercise for our legs. My mom still oils it and every now and then gives it a little exercise to keep it running. There is nothing to compare to a good working Singer sewing machine.

24. Judy Elliott

I guess I started to sew at age, if you count pumping the treadle while sitting under grannies old singer. I won my first sewing competition at age 9 for my 4H Club. It was an apron. At least a million stitches, 68 years, 7 different machines, 2 sergers and 2 embroidery machine later I have established that I love cloth,needles,thread and the hum of a motor.

25. Elsie Partridge

I started sewing on an old Montgomery Wards sewing machine of my mothers when I was 7 years old. From there, my parents bought me a Singer Touch and Sew that I used for year and learned how to repair things on it when it broke down in the middle of a project. I purchased an old Singer Treadle machine for $2.00 at an auction that I used to piece quilts for years. When I started working and could afford to buy a new machine I invested in a Pfaff that has been used well and gone through two sets of brushes for the motor. I would love a longarmer for quilting and an embroidery machine now that I am close to retirement age.

26. Lynn Deitrick

I learned to sew when I was 12 on my mother’s old brown Kenmore machine. It was in a small cabinet in our tiny laundry room–so I was sewing next to piles of dirty laundry! I sewed there until I got engaged when my fiancé bought me a new Kenmore sewing machine for an engagement gift. That machine is gone but I now have my own sewing room far away from the laundry room and a wonderful Pfaff sewing machine, but I still have fond memories of sewing on that old Kenmore in the laundry room.

• Leigh

LOL, your story sounds like mine! I sewed in the laundry room and my fiance bought me a Kenmore for Christmas in 1977.

27. Iris L. Anderson

I was child #8, my sister, 22 years my senior, taught me to sew when I was 11 years old. Mother bought a used Singer treadle machine and I still have it and it works. I am 78 years of age. Asked a sewing store to research its age, it is a 1906 Singer machine, had beautiful flowers all around, but no longer. None of my four girls want it and I am going to donate it to the North American Baptist Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention to be used in a country that does not have electricity. It is an antique, worth its value, but what good is value and it sitting in my house when it could help someone.

28. Karen F.

I learned to sew in Home Ecom. in the late 1960’s. I used my mom’s Dominion Sewing Machine at home. While learning in school my Aunt Lou taught me so much. Tricks of sewing as she called it. After graduation in 1971, I purchased a Singer Silver Touch and Sew. Loved it. I still sew at 64 years old. I have a Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold Sewing and Machine Embroidery Machine. Still love to sew.

29. SueB

Began making my own dresses/ skirts in the early 60s on my mums old Singer treadle machine. Still sewing on my wonderful Bernina ( and have got back into dressmaking after watching “Sewing Bee”)

30. Margaret

I learned to sew on my mother’s Japanese Sewmore back in the 60s. She let me take it to college when she got a new one. After I left home, some of my cousins used the old machine. I wish I had it. It went forward, backward, and had a buttonhole attachment. Never met a machine that sewed better. Wish she had asked me if I wanted it.

31. Cynthia

i made my first dress at age 11 on an old treadle that my mom used. it used to be my grandmother’s. i would love to have a treadle after all you got exercise and sewing satisfaction all at once. lol

32. Leigh

I forgot about the toy sewing machines; know I had one but can’t remember which one, or at least think I had one. I used my Mom’s sewing machine until I received a Sears Kenmore in 1977. I used it for years. I gave it away when I had not sewed for a few years. Bought a Brother 5 years ago when I got back into sewing, then purchased a Bernina a couple of months ago. Really wished I hadn’t stopped sewing but life got in the way!

33. Elena

O learned on mother’sewing machine Mundlos an I have a beatiful litle sewin toy machine

• Elena

Yo aprendí a coser en la máquina Mundlos que usaba lanzadera y tenía manivela, la tengo hasta ahora y funciona muy bien,para mí es un recuerdo muy apreciado. Además tengo una máquina de coser de juguete antiguo.

34. Liz Snyder

I’ve got that last Kenmore pictured and it’s my favorite. Got it at a thrift store for $12. It’s the one I taught myself on.

35. Mary Angerer

Oh! One of my favorite topics. I did my first machine sewing on a chain-stitch Wilcox and Gibbs machine that my mother bought shortly before she was married in 1921. She was proud that it was electric. Her cousin had a treadle version of the sasme machine. My mother helped me through my first project, a gathered skirt on which I learned to make a side placket, a waistband and a hand gathered skirt and a hand hem. I proceeded to make a number of them when I was in high school. When I was about 16 I wanted to take a sewing class at the Singer store but my mom opposed that because she feared they would pressure me into wanting to buy a new machine and she had no interest in that. I really think she didn’t enjoy sewing very much, so she used her machine for mending only.
    I married right out of college and for our first Christmas together my husband bought me a New Home machine on which I gradually taught myself. Fifteen years later I was yearning for an open arm machine with reverse stitching and I was very excited to buy a Kenmore with those features. I used it hard to make many, many garments for my five daughters and one son and myself. Then in 1989, when my next to the last daughter went off to college my husband and I went to the Maryland State Fair where I saw a demo of the brand new Bernina 1230 and I fell hard for that! So the next day we went to the Bernina dealer and my sweetie let me buy both a 1230 and my first serger. I thought I was set for life but a few years later I started seeing machines with hooped embroidery. My husband held out against that until a neighbor brought a baby gift made on an embroidery machine. So pretty soon I had a slightly used Bernina 180E that I used until it developed problems, so I traded up to a demo Bernina 370E. That should be it! I’m 79 and I doubt I will ever buy another machine! But it sure has been a wonderful hobby!

36. Lynn Graham

I learned from my grandmother when I was 7-8. Made doll clothes on her Featherweight Singer. I got the machine when she died. I love it so much. Sewing gave me a skill that I have used all my life. I have so enjoyed teaching others to sew. Machine embroidery has opened up a new passion and awakened my love of sewing and creating new things.

37. Mary

I started on an old treadle machine that had been converted to electric. I was about 12 years old. I’m pretty sure it was a Singer. But the thing about it that stands out most in my memory is that the bobbin was long and when in the bobbin case it resembled a bullet. I’m almost 65 and still sewing. Seldom make an item just like the pattern. Enjoy putting my own personality into everything I make.

38. Sherrie

My Aunt actually peaked my interest in sewing when I was about 7 or 8 years old. She and my Grandmother were beautiful Seamstresses. My Aunt gave me some fabric scraps & taught me to hand sew some clothing for my Barbie Doll…(1st Issue) My Mother had a Featherweight, which I now have at age 65, but I never played with it or used it until I’d taken Home Ec at the age of 12. While Mom didn’t use her machine much except for mending, she could actually sew & did quite a nice job…however, she did not like me using her Machine…..but I did and she didn’t like it….So, for Graduation from high School Iasked for a Singer Golden Touch & Sew, but ended up with a Singer Stylist Zig Zag Machine, which I really used a lot…but eventually the Singer Futura made the market & I traded my little Stylist in …and The Futura was a LEMON……then I went thru some hard times and they repossessed it…and quite honestly it had turned my “Love of Sewing” to perpetual Dread! however time rolled on, and I married and for our First Christmas, My h usband bought me a little Kenmore1570 Zig Zag Mchine! what a work Horse! Eventually my Mother gave me a Touch & Sew…Not the Golden Model, but a Touch & sew, none the less..which I used in conjunction with the Kenmore….then one year, they both broke down at the same time! Took them in for repair, & Mom decided to trade in the touch & sew for a Singer Creative Touch which cost just a little more than the Repair Bill on the Siger Touch & sew…so I went home with the Kenmore and new Creative Touch!
    That should be the end of the story…but when my mach8ine break down the 2nd one usually follows…so the next trip to the shop…I decided to purchase another “Back-up” Machine & bought a Euro-Pro on line….(We’ve gone from 1969 to 2005 or 2006 now…. and in 2010, I decided to replace my original Singer…just for Sentimental reasons! Onward to Mother’s Day 2014…My wonderful son who had always heard the story about Graduation & The Golden Touch & Sew…..happened upon a Golden Touch & Sew in a Thrift shop one day while I was with him….it hadn’t even come off the truck yet….but when they unloaded it, I checked it out & it ran a little slowly….but it ran….Figured a little Oil & it would be fine! For $35, he bought me the Machine in the Cabinet complete with Dress Making Shears & Notions galore, Sewing Needles. Pinking shears etc.! He said Happy Mother’s Day Mom! I paid almost as much for the Cams off e-Bay! However, Times change, as do Trends…Not a Quilter, but thought about Embroidery…and was talking to Mom, and she said if you find one around $275 I’ll buy it for you…Well, here came My Baby-Lock Elurra Older Model, but I had done research and really wanted a Janome 10000! Then I found that the Embroidery Feature on my Baby lock while wonderful, it seemed the patterns were too big for most of what I wanted to use the Embroidery Feature for…so now it was…I want little Embroidery feature Designs…and ended up purchasing a Refurbished Singer H-74 which works beautifully…still I wanted the Janome 10000…and recently purchased one! Love it! I also have 2 other Kenmores that I purchased just because I can’t stand to see a Sewing Machine unloved! I keep them all serviced and only really use about 5 of them regularly! I like to craft, and hopefully can do that full time after I retire! Most of the new machines are lighter weight and Quilting is the Big interest these days, but just not my thing! I like Dolls, Baby Shoes, Hats, Aprons, & Bridal Accessories…. & LingerieDon’t sew much for me anymore clothing wise other than a Button or quick mend and I HATE Alterations! It used to be cheaper to make than to buy, but now other than Jeans & tights, I shop at the Thrift stores for a fraction of the cost of new, or at Marshall’s etc. My first Machine, The Singer Stylist started me to a Love of Sewing which will be with me forever! While I need to part with a few Machines, I just can’t bear to let them go quite yet….

• Sherrie

Might also mention that last year I bought an old NEW HOME Treadle Machine…I haven’t got the knack for it yet…but my Sewing Tech completely refurbished it, and he made it sew like a dream! I bought it “Just in Case” the Grid goes down! I’ll have to definitely learn how to use it then…but wanted to make sure I could always sew! Food for thought Ladies…if you love to sew, you’ll be lost if you can’t! and the old Treadles don’t really take up a lot of space in a Cabinet…you can always display on decoratively, or use it as a decorative Lamp Table!

39. shehnaz kadri

Wow really got back in my childhood.My mom had singer vintage.I used to love that machine.I also did some little stitching work on that.It was really fun activity.

40. Yvonne Olson

I learned to sew on a Kenmore sewing machine. When my Mother passed away when I was 19 years old I got this machine. I put three motors on it and had to quit using it when I was told it could not be put back in time. I am 64 years old. I started by sewing my doll clothes all by hand before I started school. I love sewing today and I think I have sewn on every sewing machine brand.

41. Cheryl

I started on a Singer Touch and Sew when I was 7. I am 59 now and have 7 sewing machines , two of which are antiques. I have my own sewing business which is a far cry from making Barbie clothes on the little machine. It was neat since it ran on batteries or electric and I could see on the front porch in the summer.

42. Sandy D

I learned at a young age on my mother’s Singer Featherweight. I still have it. I recently had it serviced as I hadn’t used it for awhile…The service man said it was one of the best made sewing machines…ever!

43. EILEEN ENDERS

My first sewing machine was a toy. Don’t remember the name but it wasn’t a well known brand like singer or Elna. My first real machine was a Kenmore that I put on layaway to get. That was when I was 14. I’m 63 now & still sewing & still learning.

44. Kim Rixon

I leant to sew on a singer treadle sewing machine when I was about 6. I wish I had that machine now. My dad bought it for me at an auction. I then used my mums electric singer and then an elna. Each machine I loved but I would so love to have my treadle which I exchanged as a 9 year old for a billy goat as I was breeding them. Now 50 years on wish I’d kept the treadle, I still sew not as much as I’d like to these days I have a Pfaff which is about 22 years old which I do love

45. Phillis Bailey

I learned to sew when I was 10y. I am now 71. and still love sewing. I learned on my mother’s old black straight stitch singer. She sent me to a neighbor who taught me a lot on a treadle machine that I had to master backwards and forward straight lines before I could start learning and using her new Ziggag. My favorite machine was my 1972 brand new Elna . I used it for over 30 yrs and now my daughter still uses it. I now own a Janome memory craft 6600 which I like . but I am still partial to the old Singer I first learned on and the First Elna I owned.

46. Jan

The Singer treadle sewing machine of my mom’s sewed all my clothes , her clothes and my sister’s clothes until my Grandmother got too old to do it any more. Then I took over. The needle through the finger story takes me back to age 4 when I was racing that machine as fast as I could peddle and got my finger in the way. It did not deter me from sewing later on though. I’m 83 now and still love it.

47. Elizabeth A

My mother was a professional dressmaker, and did all her work on a Singer Featherweight. Hers was mounted in a cabinet with a fold out leaf. When I left for college I bought a used Featherweight (manufactured in 1958!) and made all my own shirts and blouses because bought ones had arms too short! I now have a top-of-the-line Husqvarna, but recently brought the Singer home to Norway and had it reconditioned. Tough little machine!

48. Gail M Lopez

I learned to sew on my mom’s staff back in 1953. Was a good machine.

49. Martine

I learned to sew on my mother’s treadle machine, a Naumann, which she had got second hand in 1933. Nov 18, 1952 she bought an Elna, exactly as the picture above. I still have it, complete with the original manual and the receipt. It cost 490 Dutch guilders, about €240, a huge price at the time. But it still sews beautifully. Only reason it was replaced was that it did straight stitch only. I use it now and again for quilting small objects, just to keep it in working order.

50. Annie

When I was 10 my grandma got me a Singer Curvy. Partly because I sewed with her and her machine was on its last leg and partly because I wanted my own. It still works great and I still have it but it’s only been 6 years. Lol

51. Evaluate Lawes

My first memory is when I was 5 (62 years ago) Mum had a singer manual inlaid with mother of pearl and she used to disengage the handle and I used to whiz it round as fast
    as I could. My favourite machine was an electric Viking I used to make trendy clothes at secondary school. We used to hold an annual fashion show for parents to see what we’d made before we took the garments home.

52. Ruheena

if have learned to sew on the first singer and then used the third singer foot machine to sew and free hand embroidery on it. Then I used an electric one but nine of the ones in here. That one also a singer.

53. Helen Monisera

My father brought the green Elna from Switzerland for my mother in 1947. She loved it because it had a free arm and she could darn socks with it.

54. Barbara Haring

I began sewing when I was 12 (1958) using my mother’s Singer sewing machine. Then my grandmother gave me her Singer treadle she had electrified and I sewed on that for awhile. My aunt once put the needle through her finger on that one when it was still a treadle. Sadly my mother gave that to a neighbor. I have had many sewing machines since then (even have an old Singer treadle machine now), but I’ll always remember the machines I started sewing on. They didn’t even have a backstitch. You had to turn the fabric to lock the stitches. Now I have a sewing/quilting/embroidery machine with all the bells and whistles. While I love it and can’t imagine doing without all it has, I often think back to how I developed my love of sewing on very basic machines and wonder if learning to sew today might be a bit overwhelming.

55. Carol

My grandmother had an old treadle machine. I never sewed on it because she wouldn’t let me touch it as a child. I started sewing on the Singer in Home Economics in high school before my mom would let me use hers. I now own 5 sewing machines and 2 Sergers. I use all of them. I do a lot of crafts, but sewing is still my favorite hobby.

56. Lee

I learned to sew on the Singer treadle machine when I was very young. I am still sewing over 70 years later.

57. Lois Scott

Back in the mid 1950s when I was ten years old I learned to sew on my mother’s White sewing machine. I am surprised that a White was not mentioned by anyone. In the mid 1960s I bought my sewing machine, a Bernina 730. Unforunately I lost it in a school fire a few years later and my husband immediately replaced it for me with an identical Bernina 730 which I am still using in 2018!

58. Joey

I bought my first Singer when I was 19. Does anyone remember the Touch and Sew? I still have it and it still works. I also have one of the old black and gold Singers that sort of looks like the treadle machines but it is electric. Add to that a White, a Singer heavy duty, an old Janome sewing and embroidery machine, a couple of Vikings and two sergers and I think my list is complete, but who knows what’s in the back of the sewing room closet!!

59. Paul Saber

these are some of the mostly used sewing machines we ever experienced on our childhood. really grateful to see them again.at that time these machines were real pro’s. thank you.

60. Barbara Harris @ Sewing Machines View

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. We updated the list of machines a few week ago, but forgot to update the conclusion. These machines are really for learning how to sew. You could create some simple quilts with them and if that is what you are looking for then one of the bigger machines like the Brother or Hello Kitty machines would be the way to go.