How to Change Seam Allowance on a Serger

Ask a Sewing Expert Banner

Question

I am a new owner/user of a serger. I want to entirely use a serger to make my next project, specifically learning to sew and cut off fabric using the 1/2″ seam. Is there an easy way for me to edit the instructions so they are 100% serger friendly? Or maybe the serger instructions are available somewhere else?

Submitted via email

Answer

If you’ve never used a serger before they can be intimidating. From the multiple thread spools on the top, to loopers instead of a bobbin on the bottom, there’s much about a serger that differs from a conventional sewing machine. For you, the only real change you would need to make is to the seam allowance, given that the pattern incorporates a standard 5/8″ seam allowance. I believe you can adjust the seam allowance on the serger to whatever seam allowance you want to use- meaning your pattern can be used as is.

Hope this helps,

Related:
Serger Seam Allowance
How to Use a Serger: Tips for Beginners

Do you have a sewing question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@nationalsewingcircle.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

The Ultimate Sewing Machine Guide

12 Responses to “How to Change Seam Allowance on a Serger”
  1. Lori
    Lori

Hello, does anyone have a User Manual (or know where I can one) for a Vintage Bel Air model 620 sewing machine. A pdf download wI’ll do.

2. kathy4
    kathy4

Hello, I do not know how to sew. For Christmas I started with making 4 kuspuks 😳 the hoods blew my mind! Question for another time.
    But I’m excited to learn and want to sew!
    I especially want to learn how to ( for starters alter) my preemie grandsons clothes. He’s going on 4 and his 18 month pants fall off his tiny body, but he’s tall so they’re also extremely short. Issues 1. Elastic, they’re all so different some have so many stitches, some I can’t just sew down the side. So many things in my head. I really want to lean how to make him pants that fit. I know this is a lot but if you have videos or answers I’d be the best student!
    Kathy Simpson
    Alaska

3. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Ticket 23261 trying to findout how to sew with sretch thread and how to do the bobbin ????

4. june Ellis
    june Ellis

unable to open this page to watch video bought the making friends with your serger
    please help
    june ellis

Dear June,

Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble accessing your Class. Please login to your Premium Membership with your username and password and click on your Classes icon in your Account Dashboard.
      Once you are in your Classes icon, click on the ‘View Class’ tab to watch the Class
      The Class will appear and press the play button to watch the Class

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us at 1-855-208-7187 or chat us on our website.

Sincerely,

Taylar

5. Allyson
    Allyson

Anyone have any tips for how to sew on ribbon/trim so that it comes out looking professional? I appreciate your advice in advance.

6. Carol Mansur
    Carol Mansur

I have a Husqvarna serger That’s about 20 years old which I basically never really used
    It came with a video which I don’t even have a DVR machine anymore. I’m rested now and have started making masks with my Viking rose machine. I need help regarding this serger. Thanks. Carol

Hello Carol!

Let us know what kind of help you’re looking for and we’ll do our best!

Thank you!

Jessica

7. Katy
    Katy

I don’t know anything about fabrics. Why is it that my pillowcase (made of stretch satin) suddenly has really tiny strands/ fibres sticking up at the seams? I’ve read that it’s safe to pop it in the washing machine so what is causing this? Also. Should I continue making my pillowcases out of stretch satin? Or what type of satin should I use that’s equally glossy, cost effective and will not give me this problem after some time ?

Hello Katy!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members to our online community. We do have a promotional offer if you are interested. This would include access to expert advice (like this), plus discounts, hours of Premium videos, etc. Please feel free to take a look. You can message us right back with your question if you decide to become a member and you will have a response within 1-2 business days from our experts!

Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at the introductory rate:

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C22740
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-208-7187 at your earliest convenience, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,