How to Make a Circle Skirt Pattern

circle skirt You’d be surprised how easy it is to whip up a cute and summery circle skirt with just a few basic tips and a pattern that you can customize to your measurements. Follow these instructions to create your own circle skirt pattern, and then check out the video below for tips on how to put your garment together!

Related Video: How to Make a Circle Skirt

Step 1: First, measure your waist or where you would like the skirt to sit near your waist or hips. Record this as your “waist measurement.”

Step 2: Next, measure from where you took your waist measurement to where you would like the bottom of your skirt to end, record this as your “length measurement.”

Step 3: Now for a little math: Take your “waist measurement” and divide by 3.14 (pi), then divide that number by 2. Record this as your “waist radius” measurement.

Step 4: If you are constructing a pattern piece out of pattern paper, place the paper on a flat surface. If you are drawing the pattern directly onto your fabric, place your fabric on a flat surface with the fold at the top. This will make drawing the lines easier.

Step 5: Tie a length of string to a marking pen or pencil. The length of string, after it is tied to the marking utensil, should be the length of the “waist radius.”

Step 6: Place the loose end of the string along the folded edge of your fabric or long edge of your pattern making paper. If you are comfortable with this process, and your fabric is not too light-weight that it will move around, you can simply hold the string in place. If not, secure the string with tape or pins.

circle skirt pattern 1 Step 7: Stretch the string until it is taut, and then move the marking utensil back and forth until you have drawn a nice semi-circle.

circle skirt pattern 2 Step 8: Tie another length of string around your marking pen, this time the string should be the “length measurement” plus the “waist radius.” Pull the string out taut and then move back and forth to create another semi-circle.

circle skirt pattern 3 You now have your circle skirt pattern piece! Cut out the semi-circle piece, and then cut along one folded area, either all the way or the length of the zipper you plan to insert. Happy sewing!

Related Video: How to Make a Circle Skirt

Get in touch! Leave a comment or email editor@nationalsewingcircle.com

nsc-7-easy-sewing-projects-banner-v1

24 Responses to “How to Make a Circle Skirt Pattern”
  1. Cat

Why do I get popup’s to join, saying it’s free…. I am a logged in and paid member, please fix your site

• National Sewing Circle

Hi Cat, Thank you for your comment. This issue is currently being looked into. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Elizabeth

It does doesn’t it? I would suggest making the paper pattern or cheap fabric & test it to see if it works. I chuckle when people claim we never use more than adding & subtracting in’real life’.

2. Doris

I feel the same way as Cat. I am a member now. I would like free access to those videos that I have been promised.

• National Sewing Circle

Hi Doris. We would like to assist you. Which videos are you trying to access? You also can call our customer service at 1-855-208-7187 for assistance.

3. CMagee

The measuring formula here seems correct to me – But the drawing here is not done to real measurements. For example If your waist measurement is 32″ and you want a skirt length about 20″ long. The radius measurement would come out to 5.09 and the skirt would be 22 or 23″ inches long depending how deep a hem would want to make. Look at drawing 2 and 3 – neither reflect that the skirt would be of sufficient length. AND – these instruction don’t allow for any turn over of fabric along the waist in applying either a waistband or elastic…Sorry but I think these are very poor instructions. Maybe fine if you are using felt which doesn’t need to be hemmed. Better make this out of paper or muslin first and measure the overall length of the skirt when folded in half so you know how much fabric to buy! My suggestion – Buy a pattern – you will have better results.

• National Sewing Circle

Thank you for your feedback, it is important to us. I will forward your comments on to the proper department.

4. Zodwa

Your Comment here..l love the skirt bt how do l do it on a paper.?and how do l measure waist, hip and length. How do l come with that circle.? Thank u

5. Umm Den2

Greetings to you all, I am glad I finally understand how to make a circle. Now to use that to make a skirt will really be awesome. Using the instructions here, I did find a sample piece of cloth and folded it like the instructions stated. I then used a pen and some twine and make the instrument to be used to make a circle for my waist remembering that it is on the fold so it will be bigger than it looks. After I wrote down my measurements, I used tape to attach the string to the fold and the pen to the string as directed. My material is thin so I had to hold it down and then use the pen to make a circle. I was pleased with that. I then figured that the length of the circle was determined by moving the top of the string to the bottom of the first circle and repeat what I had done for the waist. And know what? It worked fine. I now know how to make a nice circle for whatever I want to use it on or for. Thanks much.

6. Cathy

I used to make these skirts for myself years ago but wrap a round style. Easy to make and wear! Very useful when I was pregnant as the waist grew with me 🙂

• hodaa

7. rugrat65

I have been a Paid member for quite some time and I’m always gettingpop ups and then sometimes I can’t get them to go away! When we are to download a pattern, I get a pop up telling me I have to buy a PDF program – I already have a private one that works very well. PLEASE if we pay for your to membership can’t you ensure we have an enjoyable and uninterrupted time with sewing and NOT getting so frustrated with pop ups asking us to buy more when we’ve already paid!

Hi Dorothy,
      Your comments are important to us and your feedback has been forwarded to the proper department. We are very sorry for your frustration and any inconvenience this may cause. We will continue to work hard for your satisfaction.
      Sincerely,
      Kate
      NSC Video Membership

Dear MaryLee,

Thank you for contacting us. The information you filled out is to comment about the pattern. Other member can reply to your comment and you can also see what other members have to say as well. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,