I Bought Fusible Web Instead of Fusible Interfacing – Is It the Same?

NSC Question

I was out of fusible interfacing, and purchased by mistake fusible web. I figured they were similar. When I went to sew my pieces, even though the web was between two pieces of fabric, it entirely coated the needle and jammed my bobbin several times. Can web not be sewn at all, or was I doing something wrong?

NSC Answer

Fusible web can definitely be sewn through, and usually doesn’t cause any issues with gumming up the needle. I would however recommend that after fusing it in place you let the fabric cool completely before stitching, as this will ensure that the glue is dry and set before you stitch it.

If you are interested in learning more about fusible web and other adhesives, check out this free video:

You might also be interested in, Using Fusible Interfacing to Make Patterns Last Longer.

Do you have a sewing question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@nationalsewingcircle.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

10 Sewing Tips from the Experts

14 Responses to “I Bought Fusible Web Instead of Fusible Interfacing – Is It the Same?”

Hello Devona!

Great question! You’ll want to do a surface wash or spot wash by hand. Washing machines are not recommended.

Thank you!

Jessica

Ken Hammond

Hi I’m getting a drawing with measurements then looking for people or a person to make about 300 pieces would someone in this group be willing to take this on can work out a price

1. Lana Winter
    Lana Winter

I wanted a fusible, not woven, that would be used in a hospital mask, but received Wonder Under which made the masks very stiff. Is there a fusible interfacing available that would be hole-proof, but not as stiff?

Hello Lana!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members to our online community. We do have a promotional offer if you are interested. This would include access to expert advice (like this), plus discounts, hours of Premium videos, etc. Please feel free to take a look. You can message us right back with your question if you decide to become a member and you will have a response within 1-2 business days from our experts!

Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at the introductory rate:

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C21973
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-208-7187 at your earliest convenience, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

2. kathleen hayes
    kathleen hayes

can you cut a fitted face mask on the crossgrain of 100% cotton fabric?

3. Dolores Thacker
    Dolores Thacker

I have had my sewing machine for a week. A Brother, I still cannot get a good sitich, I have watched videos , read directions, etc. I is just a basic sewing machine nothing fancy.

4. Jenny Delmo
    Jenny Delmo

Hi have just joined.. my 7 yo grandson picked 5 different purple materials for his quilt. He wants a star in the middle with Irish chain around it.. can you help with a pattern? Many thanks

5. Bonnie Milam
    Bonnie Milam

I am new to sewing garments and working on Kwik Sew pattern K3870. Having trouble with the attaching the sleeve to the bodice. The pattern does not state to do the ease stitch, but I have more fabric on my sleeve at the upper curves. Do I go ahead and add the ease stitch step and then fit to my bodice or can I adjust while sewing?

6. Robert Shaffer
    Robert Shaffer

I am looking at three sewing machines and wonder if anyone would be able to help me decide. All three are the top in each brand. Janome, bernina, and pfaff are the three brands. Help!

7. Rita F Pursley
    Rita F Pursley

I’m using a material that has glued on shiney aluminum… it’s gumming up my needle an messing with the bobbin causing jamming problems. What can I do to complete my project.

Hello Rita,

Thank you for contacting us.

Recently, I discovered a solution: use a titanium coated embroidery needle in the machine. The titanium coating on the needle keeps the needle cooler so the glue doesn’t stick to the needle. Also, an embroidery needle has a rounded point so if you back stitch onto a thread you don’t pierce a previous stitch.

Use a needle, knife, or other pointed instrument to dig or scrape away any remaining gummed dirt or lint in the feed dog, around the bobbin case, and in other areas. Check the lower tension of the bobbin case and the upper thread tension discs. Pull a thread under the tension of the bobbin to remove dirt.

Sincerely,

Joan

8. Thaddea Pantaleano
    Thaddea Pantaleano

I asked about how to make a large bow and you sent me to scrunches. That isn’t what I want. A big bow for someone’s head