NSC LIVE! June 2016

Thanks for tuning in to the June NSC LIVE with Nicki LaFoille, where she answered your sewing questions live on air! In case you missed it, you can watch the full video here. Stay tuned for next month’s session! See you then!

1200x300 Newsletter sign up

79 Responses to “NSC LIVE! June 2016”
  1. Wendy

I am new to sewing and am having a hard time learning to read a pattern. There are many terms, phrases and acronyms I am not familiar with. Where can I find information on how to interpret and read a pattern?

• Cheryl

I have the same problem. I cut out three patterns and now I am going to pin my fabric. I have put this off long enough and I decided I am just going to take a leap of faith and do it. I also plan on taking a sewing class and doing some reading. But anything that she can suggest could be very helpful.

2. Jane

I just bought some eyelet cotton for a blouse and the. Realized the collar will need interfacing. What is the best way to deal with this when you can see through the material?

3. Shanon

going back to adding a lining….. how do put a zipper in a skirt, with a lining?

4. Carolyn

Back to the question about shortening a blazer sleeve — how do you shorten when the sleeve has a vent?

5. Lisa

What are some tips to get a 1/4 inch seam when you don’t have a 1/4 inch foot?

6. Lynne Jelokhani

I inherited a lot of very good threads from my mother. Some are several years old. Are they useable?

7. Susan M Des Rosiers

Use old thread for basting and marking. You don’t need to throw it out just because it breaks when using it for sewing the garment.

8. Judi

I have a tip. I take one of the new pre-cut chalk stickers that are becoming popular, and put it on the front of my sewing machine, above and left of the tension disc. I then take my chalk marking pencil and write the current needle I have in the machine. That way I don’t forget what needle is in there and if I don’t use it for very long, i will put it back with the others of the same kind, but in the ‘used’ card.

9. RitaRita

Rajah Pressing Cloth is a specialize item for taking out stubborn wrinkles or permanently setting a creases. I LOVE IT! Saves many fabrics which have been on my stash shelf TOO long without refolding. About $10. Long lasting.

10. Bonnie Shaul

I have a problem having the hems to my jackets pucker when sewing them. How do I fix this?

11. Lynn

any secrets on cutting a pattern using silk or satin fabrics. How do you keep the fabric from moving around.

12. Susan M Des Rosiers

Use a hammer and break all the Bead’s in the seam allowances. That way no thread is cut between Bead’s and you do not have to tie all the Bead’s off individually. Also use a zipper foot to sew the seams. This keeps the foot from getting caught on the Bead’s left on the fabric.

13. Barbara

What tips do you have for cutting out a pattern in a very small space where you can’t lay out the full length of the fabric at one time?

14. RitaRita

Nicki, What is the best way to pre-wash 5 yd x 60″ fabric in a top loading washer which has a center agitator?

• ReanaZ

I fold into 1/2 yard sections then bast then wash in a pillow case basted shut it reduced a million wrinkles
      and keeps it from tangling

15. Carlina Amezquita

I would like a demonstration on sewing a disappearing zipper. Thank you

16. Maureen O'Reilly

Nancy Zieman has a wonderful video on making a cowl from a strip of fabric. I have made them and they come out great and they are quick.

17. ReanaZ

I use graph paper for accurate 1/4 inch then use a stack of post it notes as a stop gap to guide my sewing

18. Ella Duhon

My comment is for the one pre-washing 5 yds of fabric . Either pin or stay stitch around the entire perimeter and wash and dry as needed to keep it from fraying and when dry press with steam iron and hang until u r ready to use./

• Paula Vogel

When prewashing long pieces or even short ones, I did not put them in the washer. I used a plastic wash pan with water and a little soap if desired. I wash it by moving it in the soapy water, rinse in water until clear. I usually

hang on clothes hangers and let dry and press with an iron. When I made
      curtains with multiple panels this was the easiest to keep the fabric
      smooth.

t is dirty usually prewashing is to preshrink & removes any processing
      treatment. When I make long curtains I always preshrink. Good luck! You can do it!

19. Theresa

I have bought an overlocker off ebay and it frightens me. I want to use it but don.t know where to start – help

20. Laura Tveras

Love this – thank you! How do you take in pants that are too large in the hips and legs without creating puckers in the drape of the leg?

Hi Laura. Depending on how much you have to take the pants in- you should be able to do it along the outer seam of the pants. If you need to take them in a lot, I would recommend splitting the amount between the outer and inner seams. This will help ensure everything stays proportional and keep anything from puckering.

21. Mary

What strengths of iron on interfacing are there, and what materials are they used for?

Hi Mary. Do you mean what heat setting you should use when applying fusible interfacing? If so, the interfacing will generally come with manufacturers instructions that tell you where to set your iron temperature. A good rule of thumb is to set it according to the type of fabric you are using, as fusible interfacing can be applied to any fabric you can iron.

22. Carol

To remove creases mix a little white vinegar with water and spray on the crease or smear with a cloth, and press with a press cloth. Can be used to put a crease INTO the fabric is desired, also.

23. Beverly Burnett

I have a favorite blouse. How can I make a pattern for to make another one?

Hi Beverly. If you can lay the blouse flat enough you may be able to trace the general shape of what the front, back and sleeve pieces would be and then from there you can use the existing blouse to measure and draw the pattern pieces to the correct size. If you are confident in your sewing, you could also take apart the blouse in order to trace accurate pattern pieces and then reconstruct the blouse as well as make a new one.

I would recommend the book Designing Apparel Through the Flat Pattern. This should teach you all about designing your own patterns.

24. ms nailah

Received Singer Fashionmate but need directions how to operate. Had 10-15 year old machine and new one has thread laying horizontal..need help 2 thread and operate new machine. I learn best visually I

I have not used that exact machine, but you should be able to learn what the correct thread path is by consulting the machine manual. If you did not get the manual with the machine, here is a link to a singer fashionmate manual (the link to the manual is towards the bottom of the page):

If this is not the exact model you can search for the correct model on the Singer site and then click on the ‘support’ tab for that machine. There you should be able to find the machine manual.

25. Linda Biron

Love your top! Did you make it? What pattern did you use? It’s very unique!

26. Chinyere Iwuagwu

Love every inch of the activities in NSC. Please show how to cut patterns of blouses, dresses, etc That will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

We would like to let you know that your feedback has been forwarded to the proper department. Your comments are important to us and help with the development of our online video streaming community.