NSC LIVE! October 2016

In this month’s NSC LIVE, Nicki LaFoille discussed pattern alterations, ideas on where to start when it comes to learning to sew, great tips for keeping embroidery designs aligned both in and out of the hoop.

NSC-1200x300 PDF Download

30 Responses to “NSC LIVE! October 2016”
  1. Lenora

I would like to start an at-home business sewing and selling my own creations. I know I need to install garment tags in the items I want to sell. How do I find what I need and what information is required on the tag? Thank you very much for your help.

Hi, Lenora. This information can be different depending on what you are making and where you are selling it. In general, I would look at a store bought item and include the same basic information that it does- what the creation is made out of, care instructions, size (it applicable), etc. Hope this helps!

2. Ginette

when I use a serger to sew a circular part like the end of a sleeve, what is the best way to end the seam. Do I have to serge over the beginning?

3. Ginette

When I sew bias tape, how is the best way to end to have a nice finition: how do we join the beginning of the bias tape and the end?

4. Linda

What is the secret to monogramming a cubby so it is straight across instead of slanted?

5. Barbara Dowling

I will be teaching at a Senior Citizen Center in Jan three different sewing classes. One will be mending without a sewing machine; Beginning sewing for those that don’t know what a needle is; and Sewing for the Novice. My question is do you know of any supplies/equipment that Seniors could use for physical issues (vision, hand shaking, etc)?

6. Steph

Just excited to see what is discussed. Like to embroider and sew. First time to comment.

7. Linda

the cubby is a stuffed animal,,, I can’t get it straight in the hoop no matter what I do,, when I’m finished the name is not straight,,,

8. Mirline

Hello, I’ve got the sane machine Brother CS6000i – what number is your tension usually on? Thanks.

9. Bettye Reagor

Is there a tutorial for altering men’s pants from a size 50 to 42, where the top part of the pants can be taken up by taking the band off and not having to replace the back pockets?

10. Chris

A friend had a similar problem (thread bird nesting and breaking), turned out she was using the incorrect bobbin for her machine

11. Roberta

How would I adjust a pattern to increase for bust and lengthen torso at the same time.

12. Janr

What is the best way of sewing a waist band with an elastic? I want to sew through the elastic rather than making a casing so the elastic doesn’t turn. Serger or sewing machine?

13. Jane

I want to make a bomber jacket out of some microfiber faux suede but I would like to machine embroider a design on it. I have never embroidered clothing or with this material. Any tips?

14. Jackie Lewis

Hi I would like to start doing some machine smocking. I don’t own a pleater. What stitch length would I use? And how far apart should I space the rows?

15. Lisa

What’s the best tutorial or class to learn how to copy patterns of ready to wear garments

16. Jaqi Briggs

I recently made a grill cover using outdoor fabric and outdoor thread – my machine did not like it. What adjustments other than using a heavy duty needle need to be made?

17. Heidi Soja

Prior to sewing fabric, do you always wash in warm water first to prevent shrinkage after garment is sewn?

Hi, Heidi. Whether you pre-wash all of you fabric is up to you. If it is a fabric that you know will shrink I would definitely recommend pre-washing. It is also important that if you wash one piece of fabric for a project that you wash all pieces of fabric for a project.

18. Amina Junaid Sani

Hi dear, I really enjoyed all the free videos and I wish my country was listed among the once I can register to be coming a member! I’m from Nigeria. Thanks

Hi, Amina. Our video streaming/Premium and Gold Memberships are available for our international customers. You may select your country via the dropdown menu, at checkout. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us at 1-855-208-7187.