Welcome to the Oh Sew Fun Sewing Challenge!

nscchallenge1

Thanks for joining the Oh Sew Fun Sewing Challenge! We’re so excited for this challenge and can’t wait to see everyone’s projects each week. Check out the video below for a special greeting from our expert sewer Ashley Hough who will be guiding you through all 9 weeks of the challenge:

The challenge will kick off soon – keep an eye on your inbox for your first project which will be included in the National Sewing Circle newsletter. In the meantime, make sure to join the Oh Sew Fun Sewing Challenge Facebook Group where you can share photos of your projects each week and connect with your fellow challenge participants.

The Facebook group is a great place to get updates and sneak peeks each week too!

nscchallenge2

The Projects

nscchallenge3

Meet Ashley Hough

nscchallenge4

Ashley has sewn for years. Her mother taught her at a very young age. When first starting out, she stuck to mastering commercial patterns before venturing into creating her own. Her patterns have been featured in Sew News, Sew It All, and she has even been on Sew It All TV.

Quilting is somewhat new to Ashley, but she dove in head first – coming up with an original design for her first quilt that included curved seams and hand applique! She was even lucky enough to have it featured in one of the Quilty’s “This is My Quilt” episodes.

Ashley loves all things crafty, from sewing to knitting, crochet to quilting, and everything in between. When she isn’t working on a new project or learning a different technique she loves teaching her passion to others.

nscchallenge5

385 Responses to “Welcome to the Oh Sew Fun Sewing Challenge!”
  1. Deana

Going to do this along with a friend who does not know how to sew and wants to learn. We just found her a brand new Brother with a caring case and a few accessories for 55.00 so excited.

2. Chika

I don’t have a sewing machine yet. I am willing to buy one. What do I need to buy for this program?

Hi, Chika. To complete all of the projects in this challenge you will need only a simple machine-as long as it can do a straight stitch it can do everything you need!

3. Tammy Martin

Can’t wait to start. I have had my machine packed away for a couple of years. Ready to dust it off and get sewing again.

Hi, Carol. I will be posting a supplies list each week before the email goes out. In general, most projects can be completed with fabric from your stash.

4. Shirley

One more project? ?? Am I crazy?? Such a sucker for a challenge… it’s only nine weeks right? Sounds too fun to pass up.

5. Pat La Coste

I belong to a quilting club. We make quilts from donated material. In March we have a blessing of the quilts and a luncheon. Each organization we donate to sends a representative to the luncheon to pick up their quilts. Last year we made 340 quilts to donate. I learned to sew on a treadle machine 70 years ago. I still love to sew and am excited for the Challenge.

6. Sandra

I think this will be a good way to get my skills back to where they used to be and also get a head start on some Christmas presents. I can’t wait for it to begin.

7. Judy

I love to sew and add my personal touch to create something unique. I grew up watching my Mother sew everything we four kids wore. She was my inspiration.

8. Beverly Burnett

Looking forward to trying this challenge thingy and thank you 😊 for letting me join up! I am 72 years old and have been sewing since I was in my very early twenty ‘s.

9. Marilyn Tauzin

My daughter and I and hopefully my niece are going to try this together from different locations. Hope I don’t disappoint them

10. Krishna

Looking forward to getting back into sewwing I think this will be a fun and enjoyable way to begin again.

11. JoEllen

Sew excited to become involved in this new endeavor. I hope I , as a newbie, can keep up, but it sounds fun and I’m revved up!

12. Malena

Please. I don’t know much english, please talk slow and with easy word for me and others to understand. I am so happy. Hope to keep on.

13. Brenda

This challenge will be a very big challenge for me! I haven’t sewn for a long time due to an illness that affected my vision. I’m determined to once again embrace my love for sewing! I can’t wait.

14. Rita Garcia

I love knitting and sawing! And cooking, and………. a lot of handcrafts!!! Thank you. Rita

15. Rita Garcia

I love knitting and sewing! And cooking, and………. a lot of handcrafts!!! Thank you. Rita

16. Nora

As i have a disability going to seeing classes didnt work out too well. I am an avid follower of the sewing circle and became very excited when i saw this challenge. This brings the lessons to me time is not an issue as we can work at our own pace but virtually brings new people to my sewing room . Thank you and good luck everyone, Happy sewing. Nora x

17. JoAnne

I think I shouldn’t have joined the challenge. I didn’t understand. I am a new sewer, just learning.

18. Mary R

I’m teaching my daughter how to sew and quilt at the same time. This is great that you have decided to do this. Thanks for doing it.

19. Dianne

I have a new to me sewing machine and need help getting started as I have not touched a machine in over 25 yrs.

20. Toni

This is going to be such fun, and a great way to jump start 2017! Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

21. Anne

Haven’t been sewing in several months, so I am looking forward to this challenge and it motivates to start sewing again

22. Maarion

Looking forward to starting this challenge because I have not done any sewing for a long time!

23. Gloria

Ready set………sew!!! Really happy to be a part of this challenge. It’s will keep me busy till it’s time to play in the garden.

24. Barb

Here’s my first hint. Change your machine needle, especially if you haven’t used your machine for a long time.

25. Danny

Nice to be able to participate from Belgium. Ben heel benieuwd en kijk uit naar nieuwe ideeën

26. Connie

I haven’t seen much but I enjoy it and have done some of my own simple patterns. Exciting!

27. may oconnor

My sewing is not that good but with this great idea I am sure it will help me improve so looking forward to it Thank you

28. Virginia

Haven’t been seeing for a long time but want to get back to it now that I will be retiring in a few years

29. Kathy

I am so excited about this challenge! Been in a very sad place since my sweetie passed away a year ago and this is just what I need to get me out of that place and back into the hobby that I love. Thank you for doing this for us. 🙂

30. Gina

I look forward to the projects and can’t wait to get started. I am making up for lost time since I only started sewing 5 years ago. Thanks for letting us join the fun.

31. Big H

Gosh, I’ve never done anything like this before … very exciting … hope I don’t embarrass myself!

32. Debbie Klawuhn

this is going to be fun I am a seamstress in an amusement park in my hometown for 33years and I think this will be a blast can’t wait

33. Robin

Need some inspiration! Have been sewing for 50 years but lost the drive when my girls left home. Need to get sewing again!

34. Jodie

I am excited to do this, hoping it will inspire me to return to sewing. I have not been sewing for several years and it used to be a passion of mine. Would love to get back the love of it.

35. Deborah

I am already a member of the National Sewing Guild – I was planning on making the Orange Slice Coasters anyway so might as well participate in the other projects as well. Sounds like fun.

36. PattyLynn

Stumbled upon this and so glad I did !! This is just what I need to get started ! Total beginner here !!

37. Paulette Porters

Still have received my email with the project but thankfully people have shared the link.

38. Lyn

How and when will I receive my 1st challenge. Not real good on machine, but really looking forward to starting again after years off sewing.

39. Helena Kroeper

Hi, I didn’t receive the e-mail giving the details of the first challenge. Can you please send it to me?

40. Janet Sullivan

I love a challenge love to have a target, even though I love to sew.

41. Jo Ocasio

am out ofshape wthsewing I need to get back with what I learned at High School Of Fashion Industries in 1968.

Hi, Yvonne. Please contact us at 1-855-208-7187; our Customer Service Team would be happy to assist you.

42. Denni Grace

For some reason I am not gegetting the project emails. Is there another way to view them. I am three projects behind now and I really want to catch up and play along with everyone else. Where can I f’ing the supply list and instructions for the first three projects? Thanks for your assistance.

Hi, Denni. Please contact us at 1-855-208-7187; our Customer Service Team would be happy to assist you.

43. Katherine

Hi can’t wait to start some challenges, they keep me trying new things and that is always good.

44. Elsie Ruiz

Looking for inspiration and motivation. I know the group will teach me lots.

45. Kathy Henjum

Just started quilting. But have done some sewing since 5th grade. I can’t wait to learn new things.

46. Michelle

This looks like fun. I have been seeing since I was 8 years old. I never pass up an opportunity to sew new projects!

47. Cindy

I am excited to join your group and take on the challenges that will be coming up.