A quick yet comprehensive overview of how serger stitches are made, the interplay between the needles and loopers, and the role of different types of serger thread sets the stage for the rest of the class. ZJ Humbach also shows you how to use your owner’s manual in conjunction with the video to tailor the class to your individual serger.
Once you’ve mastered threading your serger and are comfortable changing the machine settings to create 2-, 3-, and 4-thread stitches, you’re more than ready to go beyond the basic construction stitches. It’s time to learn just how versatile your serger can be and begin exploring the fun world of decorative stitches.
Your instructor, ZJ Humbach, breaks the class into manageable sessions that let you learn how easy it is to create beautiful decorative touches to take your projects to the next level. There’s no need to rush. Take your time and master each session before moving onto the next or come back and review individual segments as needed. At the end of this class, you’ll see how fun it is to just play with your serger.
Stitch Overview is a concise breakdown of how serger stitches are made, the interplay between the needles and the loopers for each stitch, and the role of different types of serger thread with an emphasis on decorative threads. ZJ also gives you invaluable tips for using your owner’s manual in conjunction with this class video to tailor the class to your machine.
Decorative Edges shows you how to turn the basic overlock stitch into a striking construction detail. You’ll learn easy ways to distinguish among the 4-thread overlock stitch and the 3-thread narrow and 3-thread wide overlock stitches and then discover how simple it is to create single-sided and reversible decorative edges for each one. You’ll also see how edges pop when you use a decorative 3-thread rolled edge.
Decorative Finishes focuses how to pop your projects with impressive details. ZJ shows you step-by-step how easy it is to create pintucks, decorative flatlock stitching, and blanket stitching.
The Bonus Project: Reversible Baby Quilt is a super fun project that features decorative stitching. Thanks to the quilt-as-you-go technique and a decorative edge instead of binding, you’ll be able to start and finish this cute quilt in an hour or two. ZJ also provides instructions to enlarge the quilt to a throw size. A free .pdf file with instructions is available for download.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of National Sewing Circle. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on National Sewing Circle, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Discussion area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Login to www.nationalsewingcircle.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from National Sewing Circle from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact National Sewing Circle? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-208-7187. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Resource: Serger Stitches ?
Class Project: Reversible Baby Quilt ?
Meet Your Expert Video ?