In this session Ashley will give a brief overview of all of the different fabrics that will be covered in the class. She will also go over any specials tools that will be used.
Some of the prettiest fabric can also sometimes be the most difficult to work with. While embellishments, faux fur and sequins look great on finished projects, they can be tedious to work with in terms of construction.
In this class, produced in conjunction with National Sewing Circle, Ashley Hough will show you ways to make working with these different kinds of fabric easier. She will start by talking about the different types of fabric that will be covered in the course as well as what special tools or supplies may be required when working with them. While some of these supplies are necessary when sewing certain fabrics, like a walking foot, others are simply used to make some tasks easier.
Ashley will teach you proper ways to cut faux fur. These techniques help to minimize the amount of mess that can be made when cutting the fabric and also make is so that seams can more easily be hidden. You will also see how faux fur can be sewn together with ease.
She will also teach you how to work with faux leather, including how to cut, press and sew it. In general, faux leather is fairly easy to cut, however, given the thickness and sometimes stickiness of the fabric, sewing it can be tricky. You will learn about several different presser feet that can make sewing with faux leather easy. She will also share several different seam finishing options that can be used, if needed, when working with this kind of fabric.
You will also learn how to work with sequined fabric as well as sheer and lightweight fabric. Sequined fabric comes in several varieties, depending on how the sequin is attached to the base fabric- either with thread or glue. Regardless of the type, the sequins generally need to be removed from the seam allowance of the fabric to both protect your needle when sewing, and, if you are sewing a garment, to make sure that no sequins lay against the skin. Sheer and lightweight fabrics can cause problems when trying to cut out pattern pieces because they easily shift and ravel. Ashley show you several ways to make working with these fabrics easier.
In this course you will also learn how to sew lace in a way that gives your garments a professional look. While this technique takes longer to complete because it is done by hand, it makes your pattern pieces come together with a seamless look.
At the end of this course you will get to practice some of the techniques you have learned as you see how to make a fun and easy project using several different ‘difficult’ fabrics.
In addition to step-by-step video instruction, this course provides you with some downloadable resources and helpful information, including: Tips for working with various fabrics and a detailed supply list and instructions for making the class project, an eye glass case.
NOTE: You’ll receive this Class video instruction in two forms: As on-demand streaming video (in your NSC Account); and as a physical DVD, mailed to you.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of National Sewing Circle to purchase a Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on National Sewing Circle content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great sewing videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of National Sewing Circle. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on National Sewing Circle, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Discussion area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Login to www.nationalsewingcircle.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from National Sewing Circle from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact National Sewing Circle? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at email@example.com or call us toll-free, at 1-855-208-7187. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Resource: Tips for Working with Faux Leather ?
Class Resource: Tips for Working with Sheer Fabric ?
Class Project: Leather & Velour Eye Glass Case ?
Meet Your Expert Video ?