6 Projects to Sew for the Kitchen

When it comes to sewing projects, you can make something for just about any room in your house. Cushions and curtains for your living room. Bathmats and washcloths for the bathroom. Toys and blankets for your children’s room. But what about the kitchen? We’ve compiled a list of 6 of our favorite projects to sew for the kitchen to give you some inspiration. Sew for yourself or give them as gifts, as these projects are sure to be instant favorites!

Make a Pot Holder with String Piecing Techniques

Learn a new technique by using string piecing in this potholder tutorial! This is a great project to use up your extra scraps and is also a great introduction to quilting. You’ll want to make tons of these cute and easy projects!

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

Sewing Placemats Personalized with Photos

Personalize your table with these cute and festive place mats! You can get creative and make one for each member of your family or make them as a gifts for a house warming party. This project is also a great use of any scrap fabric you might have laying around.

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

Serge Along Placemats

Here’s another placemat project, but one that is made with a serger. These serge along placemats come out looking a little cleaner than the personalized placemats above. This project is a little more advanced and makes a fantastic gift.

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

How to Sew Reusable Lunch Bags

Bring your lunch to work or school in style with this re-usable tote. This durable lunch bag is lined with vinyl which makes it super easy to clean, and has strong, heavy duty straps. Not to mention, this project is environmentally friendly and will prevent you from wasting plastic or paper on your lunch every day.

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

How to Make a Fabric Towel Dispenser Roll

Here’s another great eco-friendly project! Learn how to sew re-usable fabric ‘paper’ towels and layer them neatly for easy dispensing. Made with terry cloth, these towels are absorbent and will wipe away mess with ease.

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

Using a Serger to Make Simply Serged Napkins

If you’re looking for a good beginner serger project, you should make these napkins. These napkins are an inexpensive and simple project to help you hone in on some basic stitching techniques. In this video, ZJ Humbach shows you how to create clean crisp corners, and finish the ends neatly!

WATCH NOW or PIN FOR LATER

Have something to add? Leave a comment or connect with us on Facebook.

nsc-7-easy-sewing-projects-banner-v1

62 Responses to “6 Projects to Sew for the Kitchen”
  1. Glenda
    Glenda

I’m hard of hearing, and I would like to know if any of the tutorial are closed captioned.

Hi Glenda. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have closed captioning available. However, we are working on it and we are hoping it will be available soon! Thank you, Hallie NSC Video Membership

Donna Utley

ZVOX has headphones for hearing impaired. Work great for my husband who wears hearing aides & for me & I do not wear hearing aides.

2. MARY L. HUTCHINS
    MARY L. HUTCHINS

Starting 2018 Home Ec Ministry at my church. Need some projects to start. Thank you.

3. JAYA
    JAYA

Very well explained, easy to follow. Enjoyed it and planning to make it with my grad daughter as a summer project. Thanks

4. Jewel Smith
    Jewel Smith

I just want to say your projects arr beautiful and i’m very impress of the many choices video
    Selection and patterns. Thank You!

5. Doris H Martinez
    Doris H Martinez

I want to know, what I have to do to seem the videos completely, thank you

6. Shirlie
    Shirlie

On exploring around the website (only almost a year after joining!!) I have found all these tutorials. What was I doing all this time. I have thrown embarrassment out of the window and now just want to say how much I am enjoying all the benefits of being a member. Simply stunning website and thank you so much. Regards Shirlie (UK)

7. Brenda
    Brenda

Bought a serger years ago, never used. Now I’m afraid of it. How will I learn to use it?

sylviaay

the hardest thing about a serger is threading it ! actually using it is a breeze. study your manual for threading. just go for it ! I’ve had a serger now for

Virginia

I have a Husquevarna serger in my closet. Behind the door! Fear of threading. You are not alone. A tutorial would be great especially for those of us who don’t have “easy” threaders.

Rosemary Beyer

Same here..paid $900 for it and used it twice. The threading drives me crazy. Should sell it.

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your patience. In response to your question-

Under each of the photos and descriptions is a ‘watch now’ button. If you click that it will take you to that specific project tutorial which will give you the information.

Cheers,
      National Sewing Circle

8. Anne
    Anne

I’m trying to find a pattern to make my 2 yr old granddaughter a Ruffled apron

9. peggyvh
    peggyvh

I DO love National Sewing Circle…Thank you! Thank you for making sewing so interesting!

10. Glenda Smith
    Glenda Smith

I have a surger that I have never used!!! I would love to learn. I know there’s so much I could do with it!

11. sharonnewth583
    sharonnewth583

I have made the napkins and placemats. I found they were a lot easier to make then I thought they would be. Thanks

12. Sharya
    Sharya

Can I use cloth diaper material in the place of the terry cloth for these towels?

Dear Sharya,

Thank you for your patience. In response to your question-

Yes, you can use that material in place of the terry cloth.

Cheers,
      National Sewing Circle

13. Laura Shaffer
    Laura Shaffer

Do you have ideas on covers for toaster, blender, mixer, food processor, casserole carrier, tea cozy, table runner, kitchen curtains?

14. Marlene
    Marlene

Thanks for all the sewing projects. I really appreciate your postings. Can’t wait to try a couple of the kitchen ideas.

15. Colleen Ouimet
    Colleen Ouimet

As soon as I start to play a video, it stops a few minutes in and asks me to log in to view the entire video even though I am already logged in. If I then try to log in (again) it says it doesn’t recognize my username. Help!

Hi there Colleen!

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with accessing your benefits. I have included troubleshooting instructions below for you to try:

1. If you are using a mobile device, please delete your internet history. To clear your cache, please click the link below and select the appropriate browser:
      a. http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
      2. If you are using a computer, please attempt a hard refresh of your browser by pressing and holding Ctrl + F5 on your keyboard.
      3. If you are on a Mac, please attempt a hard refresh of your browser by holding ⇧ Shift and click the Reload button. Or, hold down ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift key and then press R.
      If you have any further questions, please chat, email, or contact Customer Service at 1-855-208-7187.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

Hello Tamar!

I’m terribly sorry but this post does not include aprons. I want to thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your comment to the proper department. We value your opinion and it will help with the development of our online streaming community. We will continue to listen and work hard for your complete satisfaction.

If you have any other questions, please chat, email, or contact Customer Service at 1-855-208-7187.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

16. Bev Northeast
    Bev Northeast

These projects are the perfect size for giving a small hostess gift or when visiting my daughters.

17. Rida Budde
    Rida Budde

Just need to get out my 20 year old Huskquarvara serger I have never used. I need to learn how to use it so I can make these placemats.

18. Lynn
    Lynn

Hi. I live in Canada and am looking for supplies to make pyjama pants with pockets. I need fabric and a pattern and with fabric stores closed I am wondering if you can supply me with these items. Thanks, Lynn

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for contacting us. We do have a video and a pattern on the site. The pajama bottoms in this video do not have pockets. If you would like to become a member I have included a special offer for the first year of membership for only US $3.21:

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Joan
      National Quilters Circle Video Membership

19. Jennifer Michrina
    Jennifer Michrina

I am new to sewing and have been wanting to make refrigerator handle covers. Have ya’ll covered that in a previous video or blog?

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for contacting us. Interesting project, we have not had this project on the site as of yet. Maybe with this suggestion it may spark a new idea. I will pass along the thought to the rest of the team.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-208-7187, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Joan

Hi Joan,

Thank you for contacting us. I’m sorry but at this time there is not, but I have forwarded your suggestion to the right department.

Sincerely,