Material Cut With Wrong Sides Together

Ask an Expert Banner NSC

NSC Question

I’m just starting sewing again after 40 years and when I laid out the pattern for my shirt and cut it out, I realized I had the material folded with wrong sides together as opposed to right sides. How much of a difference will this make and what do I have to do differently, if anything, when putting the shirt together to sew?

Submitted via email

NSC Answer

If you cut all of your pieces with the wrong sides together rather than the right sides together if actually won’t make any difference at all. When something like this would make a difference is if you cut only some of your pattern pieces out with the fabric wrong sides together and then cut the rest with the right sides together (especially if the fabric has a definite right and wrong side). What essentially happens is that the first group of pattern pieces cut out will be the opposite of the second group and they will not line up when you go to sew your pieces together.

Want to learn more? Check out this quick tip on How to Align Your Fabric Correctly Every Time!

You might also be interested in:
No Knot on Wrong Side of Fabric
Types of Interfacing Fabric and Interfacing Sewing
Reverse Applique and T-Shirt Applique Ideas
Upcycle T-Shirt Project: Sew a Beaded Neckline
T-Shirt Upcycle: Adding Lace to a Shirt

Do you have a sewing question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@nationalsewingcircle.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

16 Responses to “Material Cut With Wrong Sides Together”

Hello Kathryn,

That’s a great question! Would you be able to elaborate on your question a little more? Then I will send this off to my expert!

Thank you!

Jessica

Hello Sabrina!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members to our online community. We do have a promotional offer if you are interested. This would include access to expert advice (like this), plus discounts, hours of Premium videos, etc. Please feel free to take a look. You can message us right back with your question if you decide to become a member and you will have a response within 1-2 business days from our experts!

Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at the introductory rate:

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C20450
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-208-7187 at your earliest convenience, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

1. Kathleen

Can you cut Lycra and spandex to let it out so it won’t be so tight, it is a stretch bra?

Hello Kathleen!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C20450
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

2. Rosemary King

I just inherited my grandmother quit top. She did everything by hand . Any suggestions would be hel from you. All tops in perfect shape

Hello Rosemary!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C20450
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

3. Bertha Ortiz

When sewing squares together why do I have so much problems with alignment? My squares don’t even out.

Greetings Bertha!

That’s a great question and we’d love to help!

1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalsewingcircle.com/C20450
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Jessica

4. Hilda McDermott

I would like to get a video on making battenberg lace,I am new to this site,and have not found anything that could help me with my new project I would be greatfull for your assistance, I have some very lovely designshawl that my mother left me and I would really love to try them out .Could you help.
    Hilda

Hey Hilda!

Thanks for reaching out! That is a great suggestion, and I will be sure to pass that along. We currently don’t have any videos on Battenberg Lace or lace making.

Happy Sewing!
      Madeline

5. Yvonne

Have a question. I want to make my niece a burp cloth. I have flannel I plan to use for the front and back piece. What size needle do I need to use and what type of thread? One last question; what should my stitch length be. Thank you. Yvonne
    I need dto use and what type of thread? Also what should my stitch length be? Thank You. Yvonne

Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for reaching out! Our expert Nicki has some tips for you:

Hi Yvonne,

I would recommend a size 80/12 all-purpose needle, as it is a standard mid-weight needle. A 90/14 would also be fine. I would recommend All-Purpose or 100% cotton thread. The standard stitch length your machine defaults to (usually around 2.5 or 3mm) should be fine. If you find you’re having tension issues, increase the stitch length by one or two increments and give it a try.

Thanks for your question and best of luck with the burp cloths!

Thanks!
      Madeline

6. Karen Gomez

I am looking for a particular piece of fabric. Not sure how long ago purchased it. Is there a place here to reach out to people to find some? How can I include a picture?

7. Am Baldwin

I am trying to sew again and the same curse I had before that made me give up on it is still in effect: tension. It’s always something. It takes me hours to do a simple project (topstitch a hem) when it should be 5 min tops.I swear Ill try anything…..so frustrated.